Atlanta occupies a unique position in the southern United States. As a crossroads in the heart of Georgia, the influences on its cuisine are felt from a myriad of different sources, reflecting the diverse cultural makeup that has come to epitomize the city. With so much to see and do, you don’t want to spend a lot of time, or money, finding a great place to eat. Downtown Atlanta has you covered. Without further ado, we present the top 5 Downtown Atlanta restaurants where you can dine on the cheap.
5. Rosa’s Pizza – It’s styled as the only place to get authentic New York style pizza in Atlanta (this fact is up for debate). Rosa’s offers patron’s the true New York experience along with their slice. Foldable and thin as you’d expect, this is the perfect meal for on the go. It’s a busy place so you’ll need to be prepared to eat standing up anyway – just like in New York!
4. Blossom Tree – Delicious Korean barbeque for less than $10, what else can be said? For that very reason, Blossom Tree has become a very popular stopover for students at the nearby Georgia State University. It’s pretty casual place; just grab one of the laminated menus on the wall and order right at the counter. You can try a selection of Korean tacos with sides as part of a special platter.
3. Lunacy Black Market – This is a tapas and wine bar, but it’s the décor and laid-back attitude that sets it apart from the other downtown locales. Take a seat in an armchair and order from a hand-written menu, printed on cardboard. The menu options range in price from $4.50 and $7.00, giving you the freedom to try a few different options with money left over for a glass of wine, or two.
2. Reuben’s Deli – Atlanta loves its New York-style food! Here we have a New York-style deli along with the attitude to match. These sandwiches are packed with delicious house-smoked meats, made to order. Be prepared to yell though; this place can get pretty busy at times, you may need to make a bit of a scene to get noticed. Reuben’s has been named one of the top 10 delis in the United States with the best rated Reuben on Yelp.com.
1. The Food Shoppe – Now, for something slightly more locally flavored. With a name like the Food Shoppe, it’s hard to get a feel for you’re in for before you go through those doors. Well, what you get is real, authentic Creole/Louisiana-style cuisine – we’re talking spicy jambalayas, and gumbos, packed with seafood. The food is served in Styrofoam cups, complete with a warm garlic toast.
This is just the tip of the iceberg. This array of delectable eating establishments proves that a great meal in a major American city need not cost you an arm and a leg. Plus, at these prices you have an entire work-week of lunch options, if you work downtown.